Why are there some small bumps on my head? What is it?
If you are experiencing this type of scalp condition, you might have folliculitis on the scalp. Stay and see how to deal with it.
What does folliculitis look like?
- Hair follicles become inflamed
- Occur anywhere on the skin or scalp
- Small, very itchy pustules on the scalp
- Sometimes a little soreness.
What causes folliculitis?
Mainly involves these 4 mechanisms:
- Around the hair follicle, the pores can be blocked by accumulated dead skin, sweat, and dirt.
- The microbiome of the scalp is out of balance, or certain microorganisms infected it.
- Excessive increase in oil secretion.
- Inflammation and redness of hair follicles.
The causes of folliculitis may also include:
- Bacterial infections
Especially Cutibacterium acnes, but in severe cases shows Staphylococcus aureus.
- Yeast infections ( Malassezia species)
- Exposure to unchlorinated water in hot tubs
- Hair removal processes such as shaving, waxing, and plucking
- Ingrown hairs
- Long-term use of topical medication, such as corticosteroids.
Is folliculitis contagious? No! However…
Folliculitis is not contagious. However, infectious agents, such as bacteria and fungus, can trigger folliculitis to spread if people share razors, towels, hairbrushes, and other personal hygiene products.
The treatment for scalp folliculitis
The scalp affected by folliculitis should be washed with a mild scalp shampoo as often as desired. Anti-dandruff shampoos containing antifungal and anti-bacterial agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. You can also choose herbal-based ingredients such as Ginger Tincture and Glycyrrhetinic Acid Complex.
Last but not least, the recurrence rate of folliculitis is very high, it is important to maintain your scalp health long term with herbal base shampoo products!
Daily Care for scalp folliculitis
Check the Ideal Scalp Care Set for Folliculitis.
- Step 1: Scalp prepoo: 5α Juniper Scalp Purifying Liquid Shampoo
Soften and remove the unnecessary scalp buildups.
- Step 2: Scalp daily shampoo: Anti-Dandruff Essential Shampoo
Soothes the daily irritated scalp and removes dandruff, regulates, and rejuvenates the scalp.
Keep the scalp environment clean is also nessasary
- Clean the pillowcases, towels, and combs on the regular basis
- Use an anti-bacterial product to improve on scalp environment