There are two types of dandruff
Oily dandruff is mainly caused by an overgrowth of Malassezia due to excess oil secretion from the sebaceous glands, resulting in it stimulating the scalp, leading to the occurrence of dandruff.
Note: Malassezia is a fungus that usually lives on healthy adult scalps without issues, but overgrowth can cause dandruff.
Dry dandruff occurs when the scalp lacks natural sebum protection, causing the moisture on the scalp to dry out.
Read more about dry dandruff
Symptoms Of OILY dandruff:
- Overgrowth of Malassezia can stimulate the scalp and cause dandruff.
- Your scalp is oily and itchy.
- The flakes are sticky.
- The flakes are larger in size.
- The flakes are yellow in color.
- Learn more about the difference between Oily dandruff and dry Dandruff